Monday, August 23, 2010

assignment completed

I found a quote by George Bernard Shaw

."assassination is the best form of censorship"

It definitely does not belong in the assignment. However democracy does need checks and balances. The last time I read his work was at high school. I enjoyed the Pygmalion. But this quote is unbelievably drastic but it does show that if you want to censor somebody permanently the best way is to kill them! Certain speeches like incitement is irresponsible and has no place in a democracy. This assignment has made me see free access to information with greater appreciation.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you have reflected on the topic and looked back at your school days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very one track minded about the need to restrict certain reading material to certain age groups but after reading more about censorship and internet filtering, I also appreciate free access to information. My parents were very strict and they picked our books for us. They only did what they were taught. My mother was very protective and with a family of seven daughters, I think she did what she thought was right. I want to tell you that your vocabulary forces me to use the dictionary. My English vocabulary is very bad. Thank you for being so honest about everything you say and do. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete